ads here

Go Back   Rewards1 Forums > General > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Larrygman8

Larrygman8 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Larrygman8
Default anyone computer tech savy??

what's the difference between ethernet 10/100 and 10/1000 because i was thinking about buying another port for my pc

of approval

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYVHFkc_P-Y

Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
bobby b

bobby b is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bobby b

i think it has something to do with either the speed or type of pin input Ethernet cords have diff pins and therefore corresponding ports
HALO WARS sp ed
Quick charge kit
play and charge kit
1600 ms pts
Gears 2
austin brazer lefty guitar with 20 watt amp
Old 12-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Mike
Elite

Mike has a spectacular aura aboutMike has a spectacular aura about

it tells you how many jellybeans you can fit in the thing
Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Orgodemirk
New User

Orgodemirk is on a distinguished road

10/100 is 10 Megabit/100 Megabit data transfer speeds.
So, I believe 10/1000 would be 10/1000 Megabit or (1 Gigabit)
Bit = 1/8 byte

Also, 1 gigabit might require CAT 6 cables. I'm not sure on that one.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Max Galleio
Elite Quitter

Max Galleio is a jewel in the roughMax Galleio is a jewel in the roughMax Galleio is a jewel in the roughMax Galleio is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Max Galleio

that was pretty knowledgable. +rep to u
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Larrygman8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgodemirk View Post
10/100 is 10 Megabit/100 Megabit data transfer speeds.
So, I believe 10/1000 would be 10/1000 Megabit or (1 Gigabit)
Bit = 1/8 byte

Also, 1 gigabit might require CAT 6 cables. I'm not sure on that one.
ok, thank you, next question, when i hook my xbox 360 up to my pc the received bytes are always lower than the sent bytes, that equals lots of lag on my end, is there anyway to fix this??

note: this is not the same with my laptop (bytes receive are higher than sent bytes)

p.s. if your confused on how i have that set up either ask me on the thread or pm me

of approval

Old 12-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
biocidej

biocidej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrygman8 View Post
ok, thank you, next question, when i hook my xbox 360 up to my pc the received bytes are always lower than the sent bytes, that equals lots of lag on my end, is there anyway to fix this??

If your throughput on your laptop is faster in rcvd (which is normal) than the problem may be in the Xbox or just the game doesn't need to rcv as much info. You can check your specific connection speed at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

BTW, the 10/100 and 10/1000 are a difference in available speeds, but it is going to run on the lowest adapter in the network. For instance if your router is 10/1000, but the network adapter in the laptop is 10/100, than your network is going to run at 10/100. Also, you would have to have a REALLLLY fast internet connection to make any difference in your internet speed. If you are transferring alot of files between your laptop and XBox than 'maybe' this would be a good move, but probably not.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
Commodore Stocker

Commodore Stocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by biocidej View Post
If your throughput on your laptop is faster in rcvd (which is normal) than the problem may be in the Xbox or just the game doesn't need to rcv as much info. You can check your specific connection speed at http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

BTW, the 10/100 and 10/1000 are a difference in available speeds, but it is going to run on the lowest adapter in the network. For instance if your router is 10/1000, but the network adapter in the laptop is 10/100, than your network is going to run at 10/100. Also, you would have to have a REALLLLY fast internet connection to make any difference in your internet speed. If you are transferring alot of files between your laptop and XBox than 'maybe' this would be a good move, but probably not.
This is all correct.

There is no better time to take the better adapter (10/1000). Even with the possible slower speed of a router/switch you never now when you will upgrade that item so it is always better to get the faster adapter and be ready for that upgrade in the future. I assume that you are using an on-board port on the motherboard of your PC and are looking to upgrade to an installable NIC. If you have a router/switch it is normally better to stay with the same manufacturer for your new NIC.

Most people like to upgrade from the phone line/cable line to the PC. Replacing DSL/Modem or maybe flashing them, then the routers/switches and lastly the NICs in the PCs.

Remember the speeds of connections on and off the internet are always increasing as the table below shows. Cat 1 is the old phone lines with Cat 6A being for 10 Gig networks and a Cat 7 already being talked about.

# Cat 1: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously used for POTS telephone communications, ISDN and doorbell wiring.
# Cat 2: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Previously was frequently used on 4 Mbit/s token ring networks.
# Cat 3: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B, used for data networks using frequencies up to 16 MHz. Historically popular for 10 Mbit/s Ethernet networks.
# Cat 4: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Provided performance of up to 20 MHz, and was frequently used on 16 Mbit/s token ring networks.
# Cat 5: Currently unrecognized by TIA/EIA. Provided performance of up to 100 MHz, and was frequently used on 100 Mbit/s Ethernet networks. May be unsuitable for 1000BASE-T gigabit ethernet.
# Cat 5e: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Provides performance of up to 100 MHz, and is frequently used for both 100 Mbit/s and Gigabit Ethernet networks.
# Cat 6: Currently defined in TIA/EIA-568-B. Provides performance of up to 250 MHz, more than double category 5 and 5e.
# Cat 6a: Currently defined in ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B.2-10. Provides performance of up to 500 MHz, double that of category 6. Suitable for 10GBase-T.

The only real difference between Cat 5/Cat 5A and Cat 6 is the shielding of the wires/connectors which reduces noise caused by crosstalk and system noise. The pinout for the connectors is the same.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Larrygman8

whoa whoa whoa, this is way too confusing, i just wanna know why my xbox lags when i'm hooked up to my desktop, even though both the laptop and desktop are both 10/1000

of approval

Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Max Galleio
Elite Quitter

Max Galleio is a jewel in the roughMax Galleio is a jewel in the roughMax Galleio is a jewel in the roughMax Galleio is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Max Galleio

commodore was trying to explain the differences between the connectors and connections. he did, read the first paragraph