PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions on our planet.

☆Joey☆
10-30-2009, 09:40 AM
So basically, In grade 8 this year, I actually listened in class, and I have so many things that I'm curious about.

Lets see.. So is global warming getting better? or worse right now? are people actually helping the environment? Fossil fuel, We're using a lot of it, aren't we? same as above, what are people doing about using lots of fossil fuel? won't we run out of it one day, and what will happen then??(give me a estimated year please).
Water - So I learned in science class that only about 3% of the world's water is fresh water, and about 2% is trapped as ice. as you all probably know, we are using a lot of water. What happens if we run out of fresh water one day? will they turn ocean water to fresh water?
2012 (don't flame me for this) - So um, lets say the meteor IS going to hit earth, will we be able to prevent it? (ex. firing some kind of bomb into space, and hit the meteor, thus changing it's direction)

Population - What is happening with this? are over populated country trying to keep their population low?
That's all for now guys
Thanks for helping me :)

Kneel 2 NEIL (SCAMMER)
10-30-2009, 09:46 AM
So basically, In grade 8 this year, I actually listened in class, and I have so many things that I'm curious about.

Lets see.. So is global warming getting better? or worse right now? are people actually helping the environment? Fossil fuel, We're using a lot of it, aren't we? same as above, what are people doing about using lots of fossil fuel? won't we run out of it one day, and what will happen then??(give me a estimated year please).
Water - So I learned in science class that only about 3% of the world's water is fresh water, and about 2% is trapped as ice. as you all probably know, we are using a lot of water. What happens if we run out of fresh water one day? will they turn ocean water to fresh water?
2012 (don't flame me for this) - So um, lets say the meteor IS going to hit earth, will we be able to prevent it? (ex. firing some kind of bomb into space, and hit the meteor, thus changing it's direction)

That's all for now guys
Thanks for helping me :)

Assuming you believe in Global Warming, it is getting worse. As long as humans are alive, they won't be helping the enviroment. Yes, we use lots of fossil fuels. Yes, one day we will run out of it. (That's why research into alternate sources of newer and cleaner energy is being done.) It's impossible to estimate a time frame for when we run out because there are too many variables with too big of a factor range. Newer and cleaner energy right now is harder because it's not practical or economical yet, it's much too expensive, so we're slower moving into it with hybrids and cheaper alternate sources that necessarily are all that greater, but at least it's progress. Most of the richest companies in the world are oil companies, so they don't make it easy because they have so much power.

That was just a rough summary, I tryed to answer your questions in the shortest possible way, without giving any of my input or opinion.

Water, this was discussed in my Global Geo class a lot. Fresh water will in the future become like oil, or gold, most likely valued very highly. (Most likely if times get bad enough, the US will begin to take over Canada for our large fresh water supply.) Ocean water can be turned to fresh water through desalination, but this is extremely hard, because of energy and cost, so unless some breakthroughs and research is done in this field it will always remain a last resort.

2012 theories are all a hoax, a meteor if it hit the earth would do nothing, except leave a small crater, meteors hit all the time, you would be thinking of an asteroid, which are much bigger and capable of causing global destruction.

Asteroid preventive research is being done, and all detected asteroids are being watched, tracked, and researched. There are ways to do this but never have been done and all are very impractical, they involve blowing multiple nuclear warheads along side of the asteroid to slowly push it off course, using a probe, or just spacecraft and fly along side of it using the gravity of the spacecraft to slowly pull it off course, or fire a laser at the asteroid to borrow a hole in it that would push it off course. The problem with these is, you have to detect the asteroid a long distance away in order for these procedures to work effectively and you have to also be aware of the trajectory after the asteroid slingshots around the Sun and back towards Earth. There is only one Asteroid that poses a threat to concern NASA on the possible impact scale, and even that keeps jumping between 1 in 10,000 and 1 in 100,000 probability (The initial probability was 1 in 60). It broke the record for the highest level on the Torino Scale. This asteroid is predicted to pass Earth inbetween the Moon in 2029, and then a further predicted date was on April 13th, 2036. (A Friday, lol). Further research has further lowered the odds to 1 in 250,000 of an impact which is extremely small. The asteroid is known as 99942 Apophis or previously named MN4.

Firing a bomb at an asteroid would do absolutely nothing to it, as they say in one of my favourite lines from the movie Armaggedon, "it would be like firing a BB at a freight train". It just wouldn't effect it really at all.

For population, It's growing, some countries are trying to limit it, China does with their "one child policy".

D3
10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
oh and about 2012, its not a meteor. its a planet the size of jupiter. and its going to pass right next to earth. results may vary between us being fried or having mega tsunamis

oh and we cant destroy it. impossible

☆Joey☆
10-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I saw this video An Inconvenient Truth made by Al Gore.
In that video, it says by 2050, the tempature will be 2x as hot than now. that just scares me. So that basically just means we'll all die before 2050?
oh and about 2012, its not a meteor. its a planet the size of jupiter. and its going to pass right next to earth. results may vary between us being fried or having mega tsunamis

oh and we cant destroy it. impossible
I know we can't. but can't we at least use something really strong to move the direction it's going?

D3
10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
that will depend on 2012 :) still, think of it this way

humans destroying earth

COUNTER ATTACK!! 2012 POINTS

something happens here that involves a lot of deaths, possibly extinguishing humankind forever

KO!!!

and the earth gets back to normal after years nad years

Kieran
10-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I saw this video An Inconvenient Truth made by Al Gore.
In that video, it says by 2050, the tempature will be 2x as hot than now. that just scares me. So that basically just means we'll all die before 2050?

I know we can't. but can't we at least use something really strong to move the direction it's going?

That is something that we as human beings excel at. We'll be able to cope, we always manage too, so, why wouldn't we be able to survive it the next time?
Sure, people'd die, but think of it one way. The Earth is a never ending story, and with that, we're always changing, sometimes for good, other times for bad. If we never had any bad things happening, we'd live in a utopia which would end up getting boring anyway, so see it as a bit of variation.

I read somewhere, that Stephen Hawking once predicted that in like 2050, the population of the world would be so great, that people in the big countries like Russia, China, and the US, would all be standing shoulder to shoulder with one another. Nao, that is interesting...

Kneel 2 NEIL (SCAMMER)
10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
I refuse to believe Nirbiru or "Planet X" exists, and magically appears in our solar system, and has no gravitational effect on anything, and then just rams into us. Even the guy who came up with the theory that a planet was sitting outside the Oort Cloud, said he was wrong.

☆Joey☆
10-30-2009, 10:07 AM
So basically we're gonna be wiped out by global warming or a asteriod.

Kneel 2 NEIL (SCAMMER)
10-30-2009, 10:08 AM
So basically we're gonna be wiped out by global warming or a asteriod.

My money is on a close GRB.

☆Joey☆
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, I'd say this is the worst time to be born D: I'm probably not even live my whole life. Stupid crap happening in this generation

Kneel 2 NEIL (SCAMMER)
10-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow, I'd say this is the worst time to be born D: I'm probably not even live my whole life. Stupid crap happening in this generation

You'll be fine. You'll live a full life.

I edited my original post to answer more of your questions, I added a little about population.

☆Joey☆
10-30-2009, 10:12 AM
You'll be fine. You'll live a full life.

I hope so, these history/science lessons is causing me unable to sleep, god, these things are always in my head. maybe I should listen less in those classes >.<

Sephyncloud
10-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Final Fantasy VII = Greatest Survival Stratagies.

Let's Fire a rocket into space to destroy the Meteor/Asteroid! YAYZ!

:D

Sephyncloud
10-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I hope so, these history/science lessons is causing me unable to sleep, god, these things are always in my head. maybe I should listen less in those classes >.<

You go to Public school I presume?

25% of all the stuff they teach in Science/History is Bull**** and I would learn it, but don't ever believe all the stuff.

Evolution for example...My teacher really really pushes Evolution on us. It pisses me off and I don't want to hear about it, but I listened and got an A in Biology.

Oh, and that Cock and Bull movie by Al Gore, that's the biggest load of $H!T i've ever seen.

Fu(K Al Gore!

D3
10-30-2009, 11:07 AM
well the best you can do is ignore the facts and just live life normally

thats why the media never talks about these things. most of the people would panic. those who know about it treat it like a secret.

i dunno if the 2012 is true, but i got a book about it on my birthday, which was 30 days, and i havent read more than 50 pages :/, kinda boring, but when im done with it, ill tell you if its bull**** or not, or at least, more facts about it

Pyros
10-30-2009, 01:11 PM

You'll live out your whole life
Dont worry bout garbage like 2012. And global warming is a progressive thing. You'll live our your whole life for sure, you'll jsut live it out a bit hotter than normal :D or colder ;P depending on where you are.

there's plenty of preventative measures taken by people to slow global warming but its really a global and structural effort that is needed and that isnt going to change any time soon.

Pyros

Sephyncloud
10-30-2009, 01:44 PM
You'll live out your whole life
Dont worry bout garbage like 2012. And global warming is a progressive thing. You'll live our your whole life for sure, you'll jsut live it out a bit hotter than normal :D or colder ;P depending on where you are.

there's plenty of preventative measures taken by people to slow global warming but its really a global and structural effort that is needed and that isnt going to change any time soon.

Pyros

Pyros, your evidence is Irrefutable.

Fysh
10-30-2009, 01:45 PM
my personal favorite arguement is that "ozone" or O3 for you science savvy... is a leading contributor to global warming and the "depletion" of the ozone layer...

how the HELL... does ozone gas... deplete a layer of ITSELF in our atmosphere?? DERP

Mason
10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
smoke weed and your questions are answered

Sephyncloud
10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Joey, just be glad that you aren't this kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0XQEDRHFhs

Kneel 2 NEIL (SCAMMER)
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
ha, Global Warming? y'all *****s still on that? so last year, we off that, I'm on that ice age ****.

Kieran
10-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Joey, just be glad that you aren't this kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0XQEDRHFhs

"Do you like to sodomise yourself with a remote?"

Sephyncloud
10-30-2009, 02:07 PM
"Do you like to sodomise yourself with a remote?"

LOL, if you watch 6 (I think) his grandma asks him "Where's the phone, or did you shove that up your ass too." <<<LOL