PDA

View Full Version : Question Antivirus Question

manbearpig123987
07-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I just got my mac and I was wondering if I should put an antivirus on it. I know macs are a lot less likely to get viruses and people say theres no reason to put on an antivirus but I used programs like limewire and vuze.

Since I use those would it be a good idea to put on an antivirus and if it is do you have any recommendations?

Milla
07-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Well Macs don't tend to get viruses. But they sure as hell can, especially with torrents. Therefore, I would reccomend downloading some sort of scanner. Be careful with torrents, only download ones that have been download a lot. I have ClamXav. Free and works well.

Bunny
07-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Without an AntiVirus protection, you are vulnerable to dozens of viruses even on Macs.
Even though it feels safe knowing that macs are rarely to be infected with viruses, it's always best to have another protection alongside to make you 2 steps ahead of what's ahead :)

I don't know any AntiVirus softwares available for Mac though :(

Evan
07-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I don't know any AntiVirus softwares available for Mac though :(

theres tons, norton is the one I use. In like 5 years Ive never got/scanned a virus and I use torrents a lot. So you don't really need one

2009charger
07-05-2009, 08:13 PM
rass mad get wan av

Evan
07-05-2009, 08:14 PM
rass mad get wan av

wth was that?

Bunny
07-05-2009, 09:21 PM
theres tons, norton is the one I use. In like 5 years Ive never got/scanned a virus and I use torrents a lot. So you don't really need one

I was thinking of those free ones hahaha
AVG is nice but I don't think there's a release for Mac

GaMeOvEr
07-05-2009, 09:52 PM
I was thinking of those free ones hahaha
AVG is nice but I don't think there's a release for Mac

I would debate the age and experience developers have had with the source of Mac OS X (UNIX) is what makes Mac OS X difficult to crack, not the "security through obscurity" argument you present.

1) Malware writers are trained in Windows, not UNIX. They don't know how to crack the Mac OS, and don't try.

2) The Mac OS has easily exploited holes closed out of the box. Windows does not. Windows is easier to exploit--malware developers know how.

3) If someone were to create a virus that attacked millions of unprotected Macs, he would immediately achieve fame among malware writers, one of the things malware writers love. They don't know how.