PDA

View Full Version : Help! Honors English Homework Project Help [Due Friday!]

mrhappyasthma
12-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Ok, if you haven't read the play Antigone by Sophocles (the last story in the Oedipus Trilogy) then you probably cannot help me unless you read the sparknotes or a summary. I am doing a project in which I need to select modern songs that relate the the 4 main characters in the story. I have completed one and the paragraph is below to help you. The major issue is that I don't listen to any new music and the select things I do listen to are limited in this area. The characters I need to complete still are Antigone, Ismene, and Haimon.

*I DO NOT want you to write the essay part for me, unless you really want to ;), but if you can give me a one sentence summary of how it relates I can read the lyrics and support it. For example, for the Be My Escape example say that the song talks about how the narrator is trapped and suffering due to his own errors which relates to the suffering of Creon because he chose to go against his own family.

Completed Character: Creon

Song used: Be My Escape by Relient K. (Please don't post criticizing this song choice. You could pick Hannah Montana XD for all I care and if you can briefly explain how it fits I will use it.)

The song “Be my escape” by Relient K relates to the character Creon in the play Antigone by Sophocles. In this song, the message being portrayed is that the narrator had made wrongful choices that ultimately lead to his own self-sacrifice. Similarly, Creon also makes wrongful choices at his own expense. In “Be My Escape”, the first verse of the song says, “…this life sentence that I’m serving/I admit that I’m every bit deserving/But the beauty of grace is that it makes life not fair.” By saying this, the narrator is saying that he is paying for his flaw even though he knows that he had done wrong. This also applies to Creon, because he chose to send Antigone to be trapped in a stone tomb to rot to death, and it resulted in the deaths of many of his close family members. Additionally, the second verse says, “I am a hostage to my own humanity/Self detained and forced to live in this mess I’ve made…” This relates to Creon being punished as a result of his own actions and paying for them with his family’s deaths and with his own sorrow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kila
12-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Just use spark notes.

mrhappyasthma
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Just use spark notes.

Please read.... I know its long. I read the entire play, but I have no idea what music could possibly relate. (I only have to write a 6-8 sentence summary so basically it can be as short as my one above. I just know jack about any types of music. I have all of 25 songs on my playlist XD)

kila
12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Please read.... I know its long. I read the entire play, but I have no idea what music could possibly relate. (I only have to write a 6-8 sentence summary so basically it can be as short as my one above. I just know jack about any types of music. I have all of 25 songs on my playlist XD)

Alrite that's my bad. Don't think you'll be getting help much from the people on these forums though most of them are under 13.

mrhappyasthma
12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah, but I will bet all my ref earnings for life that they have a ton of songs on their limewire, itunes, mp3 player, or whatever. (Thats the part I am lacking on.)