PDA

View Full Version : Best Game On Wii Virtual Console

FaRdDiN
05-11-2008, 05:53 AM
i am just wondering what are the best games to download on the wii virtual console.

Marzz
05-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Super Mario 64 is good. Starfox 64 is excellent.

Any of the NES Mario games, but especially Mario 3.

Beyond Oasis on the Genesis is one of the best games I've ever played.

StarTropics on the NES is a good action RPG.

Zelda on any console is good for downloading, but especially the SNES "Link to the Past".

And EARTHBOUND is coming out soon, so look for that.

This, of course, is all supposing that you're in the US.

FaRdDiN
05-11-2008, 06:35 AM
i liv in the uk
ill check if i could get those games
thanks

Marzz
05-11-2008, 06:43 AM
In that case, i know that Starfox is called Lylat Wars 64 over there.

hightower
05-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Super Mario 64 is good. Starfox 64 is excellent.

Any of the NES Mario games, but especially Mario 3.

Beyond Oasis on the Genesis is one of the best games I've ever played.

StarTropics on the NES is a good action RPG.

Zelda on any console is good for downloading, but especially the SNES "Link to the Past".

And EARTHBOUND is coming out soon, so look for that.

This, of course, is all supposing that you're in the US.

I second all of those choices!

Benev
05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
My personal favorite is Street Fighter II turbo. Just brings back so many SNES memories. :D
-Dave

Eric Sherman
05-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Do these games let you use the wii mote/nunchuck or do you have to use a plug in controler?

Benev
05-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Depends. Some games use wii mote/nunchuck, Wii mote sideways, Classic Controller, or GCN controller. Usually you can use at least 2 or 3 variations for each game.
-Dave

Eric Sherman
05-11-2008, 03:27 PM
So like for the N64 starfox games I could use the wii mote? Just curious, don't even have a wii yet, but I'm looking at getting one.

Benev
05-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Yep you would probally point to aim and use B to shoot. You would have to ask someone who downloaded the actual Vurtual Console version, but Eric if you want my personal opinion, dont get a wii. I have 2 reasons.

1. Xbox is better.
2. No matter how good a game for wii is, you have absolutley no desire to play it because...
a. There is no online, or the online sucks.
b. There is no gamerscore. EPIC FAIL.

I don't care how much you say you dont care about gamerscore, but it just adds a whole new element to the gameplay. It adds to the gameplay value, and you even complete story mode a SECOND time in order to get the achievements.

The only reason i'm playing my wii right now is because my xbox got red ring of death.

But, if you decide to get a Wii, which is totally up to you, i just wanted to give you my opinion on it, you should look into getting mario kart wii. The online play is as close to being un-broken as you can possibly get. Also, if your friends like to play super smash brothers, get brawl. Don't even attempt the online for brawl though. EPIC FAIL! lol

/End Rant
-Dave :p

Eric Sherman
05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
I've got a 360. I'm not too sure I'm ready to get a wii til their live gets better. So maybe wii 360 or whatever comes out next will be my next system. The gamecube was terrible.

Benev
05-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Gamecube had some legit games, but the system itself was nothing compated to the xbox or even the ps2. Maybe if Wii comes out with a Live that actually works, you should get one. Thats what i would reccomend. I got mine the Christmas it came out, and I have rarely played it. Just not motivated to. I want to pwn nubs on halo 3 with my br all dayz longzzz! haha.
-Dave

Snake
05-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Gamecube had some legit games, but the system itself was nothing compated to the xbox or even the ps2. Maybe if Wii comes out with a Live that actually works, you should get one. Thats what i would reccomend. I got mine the Christmas it came out, and I have rarely played it. Just not motivated to. I want to pwn nubs on halo 3 with my br all dayz longzzz! haha.
-Dave

I love how I bought my ps2 for $300 and now its $120, I also like how I bought my gamecube for $100 and now its $10 for a used one at gamestop. Gamecube=Wack.

Marzz
05-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Ahh, you're all Xbots.

I'll give you a few legitimate reasons to get a wii, Eric.

First off- Super awesome fun multiplayer. Ever play halo with 3 other friends and have fun? Grab the Wii (which comes with 5 games out of the box) and let everyone have a shot at it. The first game i played? Bowling. My girlfriend at the time, who had never touched a video game besides Bejeweled online, grabbed the Wiimote, and started bowling like mad. I even ended up leaving it over at her place a few days, just because she had so much fun with it. Her family started playing it, and before we broke up, we all got together and had a bowling tournament every thursday night.

The point to that is, you don't have to be a gamer to enjoy or be good at a lot of the multiplayer games on the Wii. It helps, but isn't necessary.

And as for the comment that the Wii doesn't have a real "live" online functionality, i'll point you in the direction of Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. 32 player online first person shooter gaming. There are a lot of games (those of which that have online and aren't made first party by nintendo) coming out that have that sort of online play, and it's a blast. The control on Medal of Honor was so much better than using dual analog sticks to play.

Also regarding online play, the Wii will let you play with other people online without having to register a friend code. For example, Super Smash Bros Brawl, you can select an option and just hop right into a match with 3 other people and play either a 2 on 2 match or a 4 player free for all. Mario kart? 12 player online with just a few clicks of the pointer.

Regarding the virtual console, any time you download a virtual console game, it shows you what controllers are needed. For the nintendo 64 games, either a gamecube controller (which manages to work perfectly) or the classic controller (which plugs into the bottom of the wiimote) will do the job. There's no wiimote play on Super Nintendo games, Neo-Geo games or N64 games. The wiimote, will, however, work on turbgrafx (pc engine) games, genesis (mega drive) games, NES games and Master System games.

As of May 11, there's 223 virtual console games available for download in the US. (List here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_%28North_America%29) ) There's a wide selection, and there's a little something for everyone in there.

Starting May 12th (in the US) there will be a service called WiiWare, which is downloadable, independently developed games for the Wii, which have never appeared on any other console. A notable title is actually a new final fantasy strategy game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles:_My_Life_as_a_Kin g), which is actually going to be one of the first to come out for the WiiWare service.

Another argument that a lot of people have had against the Wii, is that it's all "family friendly". I disagree there, with Resident Evil 4 being on the console (and a much better version than was on the gamecube OR ps2), Manhunt 2, and No More Heroes, just as a couple of examples of games that aren't exactly as family friendly as people are suggesting.

And another thing too, Nintendo has learned from it's mistake with gamecube. Of all the last generation systems, the Gamecube was the most powerful graphics pusher. The graphics chip was so much better than the xbox and the ps2's chip. (seriously. Take a game that was released on all three systems, and hook them up side by side. The PS2 is the weakest, the Xbox was close but cut corners, but the Wii didn't cut a single one. Beyond Good and Evil is a GREAT game to test this with, because of the water effects and the specular lighting.) The problem was, the system was being not only targetted as a kid's toy, but Nintendo wasn't putting enough First-Party software on the console. They were focusing on the GBA and the new DS too much to worry about a system that was going downhill fast.

Trust me on this one, getting a Wii is a smart decision. I got one on launch day, along with Twilight Princess, and I've never regretted it once.

If you have any questions about it, or any more concerns, let me know, and I'll explain it to the best of my ability.

kmisfit
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I love n64 starfox