PDA

View Full Version : 360 price cut should have sony worried

awilex
09-05-2008, 10:50 PM
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/1156/0pricesarsjr3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

If you haven't heard, the Xbox 360 has received yet another price cut. Effective today, the Xbox 360 Arcade model is available for only $199 -- that's $200 less than the cheapest PS3 model. While the PS3 is arguably a better deal, with the inclusion of a Blu-ray drive, integrated wireless and free online play, penny-pinching casual gamers may not see the value proposition of a system that costs twice as much as its competition. "Given the weaker consumer spending environment, the Xbox 360 should also now be in c***** reach of more price-sensitive consumers," analyst Colin Sebastian said.

However, with Sony focused on profitability this year, a competitive price drop does not appear to be on the radar for the PS3. Instead, Sony has opted to create larger hard drives and more attractive bundle options, such as the 160GB Uncharted bundle. "I suspect that the reason why Sony has been so adamant about maintaining its current price point is because it has not reached a more efficient scale in its manufacturing of the PS3," said analyst Jesse Divnich.

Divinich also tells Edge that "Sony should be the most concerned [about the 360's price cut] ... Going into this holiday season, the PS3 will not only have the highest price point, but also the smallest software library, weaker line-up of exclusive titles (compared to Xbox 360's Gears of War 2 and Fable 2), and a less popular online network." Apparantly, he forgot about Resistance 2, SOCOM, LittleBigPlanet and a number of other PS3-exclusive titles for this holiday season. However, will the lure of these titles make up for the increasing price gap between these two rival consoles?

awilex
09-05-2008, 10:50 PM
If you read this blog, chances are you're already familiar with Sony's "10 year mantra." PS3 is an incredible piece of tech with a lot of value built into the system. However, does your average Walmart shopper know about the things PS3 can offer? Probably not. With the $200 price difference between the cheapest Xbox 360 and PS3, Sony understands that it must do a better job at marketing its message. Julie Han, Sony corporate communications, told Gamasutra that "there's a lot we can do on the marketing front," especially about features, like PS3's video store, and its connectivity with PSP. Are these things that are spoken about beyond hardcore gaming circles? Unlikely.

"We don't talk enough" about Sony's "future-proofing" strategy, she admits. "With the recession, as people are ... on tighter budgets, they're going to be much more conscious of how they spend their money." Sony must now try and communicate to consumers directly why the PS3 is a better option for them, even if it is more expensive.

In spite of Microsoft's price drop, Sony has no plans to follow suit just yet. In fact, they're rather confident about the upcoming holiday season. "We're really confident that consumers are making choices driven by value," she says, "and we know PS3 offers that value across the board, with the built-in Blu-ray player the broadest and deepest software lineup in the industry, with LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Motorstorm [Pacific Rift]... we're quite confident our holiday sales will be good."

kizza121
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
woah in AUS The 360 is 400+ and the elite is 600+

awilex
09-05-2008, 10:53 PM
So do you think the point/referral price of the 360 will drop??
also do you think sony will follow?

awilex
09-05-2008, 10:53 PM
woah in AUS The 360 is 400+ and the elite is 600+

lol same for the uk is it 2 aus dollars to 1 gbp?

maughansterman
09-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Microsoft is awsome ^_^

awilex
09-05-2008, 11:04 PM
I think dont think it can stop sony though,the last price cut microsoft had didnt do anything :lol
considering the lineup for ps3 this winter i cant see why people would buy 360 part from the price..Its going to take something bigger than justa price cut to stop the ps3 streak..Maybe if they drop the price at same time as a big system seller like gears of war and make a bundle or something

x46and2x
09-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I hope sony drops the price some. Would be nice, theyre just entirely too expensive.

awilex
09-05-2008, 11:38 PM
I hope sony drops the price some. Would be nice, theyre just entirely too expensive.

it depends how you look at it because ps3 is worth more than the xbox..its got blu ray all the internal parts are better quality, and quality comes at a price sometimes.:disgust i still hope it comes down though because then i can get another one for the sake of it lol

Pyros
09-06-2008, 12:00 AM
If you really want to think about it. The price cut does one thing at the very least. It'll solidify the amount of 360's sold per period of time. The 360 has had a strong consistency (not withstanding huge jumps from Halo3 etc) in sales over and over again and the price cut is to ensure that.

It won't get any leverage over the PS3 who's market is expanding. If you look at the market clearly we've got the 360 that has saturated the north american market and the ps3 that has yet to penetrate deeply into it. So while the 360 has declining rates of sale, the price cut will help keep the numbers even (even if the marketing schema they choose is a poor model), but sony can expect their numbers to grow... that is unless the PS3 is a complete flop.

Mushy2000
09-06-2008, 12:57 AM
If you really want to think about it. The price cut does one thing at the very least. It'll solidify the amount of 360's sold per period of time. The 360 has had a strong consistency (not withstanding huge jumps from Halo3 etc) in sales over and over again and the price cut is to ensure that.

It won't get any leverage over the PS3 who's market is expanding. If you look at the market clearly we've got the 360 that has saturated the north american market and the ps3 that has yet to penetrate deeply into it. So while the 360 has declining rates of sale, the price cut will help keep the numbers even (even if the marketing schema they choose is a poor model), but sony can expect their numbers to grow... that is unless the PS3 is a complete flop.

which it is a complete flop...

Pyros
09-06-2008, 12:59 AM
which it is a complete flop...

Lol, it depends on the markets you are looking at. Over here yeah, for the time being. But in all respects considering their position, their lineups for this upcoming year, and their already decent world install base, it won't be long for them to catch up.

Maybe not beat the 360 but at least meet even.

Kanajau
09-06-2008, 01:01 AM
xbox = poo

jamiec
09-06-2008, 02:01 AM
basically if xbox falls in price, ps3 will HAVE to try and match it, cos they are not going to sell as many products

seanburby
09-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Some people may still choose the ps3 for the long term. They don't have to pay for online play and that after a few years will add up and make the 360 the same sort of price as the ps3, in the long run. Thankfully for us, we have GPT sites which are legit and which we can get free Xbox Live subscriptions and therefore do not have to pay for the online play.

Kanajau
09-06-2008, 02:22 AM
nintendo ftw!

most fun and cheapest

seanburby
09-06-2008, 02:25 AM
nintendo ftw!

most fun and cheapest

Haha :lol I can't say I disagree :D

Kanajau
09-06-2008, 02:26 AM
good man :thumbs

im glad to see you arent a scummy sony fan :D

seanburby
09-06-2008, 02:29 AM
good man :thumbs

im glad to see you arent a scummy sony fan :D

PS3 = Too expensive.

Wii = Fun + Affordable :thumbs

Kanajau
09-06-2008, 02:30 AM
PS3 = Too expensive.

Wii = Fun + Affordable :thumbs

exactely

i'd get a ps3 if i had enough points and stuff because it's free but id never buy one

WAAAY too expensive

seanburby
09-06-2008, 02:33 AM
exactely

i'd get a ps3 if i had enough points and stuff because it's free but id never buy one

WAAAY too expensive

I agree.

PS3 and Xbox 360's have nearly the same features, yet the PS3 is $200 cheaper.

Wii ftw. Cheap, fun for all, innovative.

Kanajau
09-06-2008, 02:40 AM
cant wait to see what the wii 2 will bring us.

the nintendo hardware team have already started on it

seanburby
09-06-2008, 02:42 AM
cant wait to see what the wii 2 will bring us.

the nintendo hardware team have already started on it

It'll be hard to top the wii, since it was such a unique console.

awilex
09-06-2008, 03:24 AM

yea im considering buying 360 just for gears of war and halo but then if i get bored of them 2 games i will just sell it on ebay or youtube or something

vallu
09-06-2008, 05:40 AM
Great! Lets keep the poor(ps3 cost to much Q.Q) people off PSN. I don't think ps3 needs a price cut.

An xbox 360 is like a toyota.
But a ps3 is like a corvette.

You know what I mean? Anyway the blu ray player alone is worth atleast $200, and thats actually making it sound cheap. With ps3 Home coming out, It's going to be the most revolutionary chat room ever. I expect big things from sony.

Castle Crashers
09-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Great! Lets keep the poor(ps3 cost to much Q.Q) people off PSN. I don't think ps3 needs a price cut.

You know what I mean? Anyway the blu ray player alone is worth atleast $200, and thats actually making it sound cheap. With ps3 Home coming out, It's going to be the most revolutionary chat room ever. I expect big things from sony.

Ps3 Is a flop. Xbox is indefinitely better. With the new update coming out and there HUGE line-up of games.

InFamous805
09-06-2008, 06:29 AM

the only reason I use my PS3 :thumbs I got bored of MGS 4 cause the online was not as good as MGS: PO (I love that game), and the rest of my games (Ratchet, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword) really have no replay value after beating them a couple of times (I play CoD over Resistance online). Oh and Home seems pretty cool, but wasn't it going to come out like a year ago? And do you know when its coming?

Also the 360 isn't horrible. It's actually better right now and probably for the rest of the year. With games for everyone like Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Blots, Viva Pinata 2, Left 4 Dead (Microsoft publishes I think), Gears of War 2, Call of Duty World At War (will have a bigger community online), and Fable 2 (possibly going to be the best RPG of all time, but maybe not). Also, and new fall update is coming meaning you can have online parties with your friends and watch netflix movies together without everyone having to pay. It's also going to have avatars (not interesting to me, just pointing it out). And the XBLA is better than ever and its going to keep getting better with games like Duke Nukem 3D and South Park coming (and plenty more, but those are the ones I like)

Overall, both consoles are great and let's just enjoy them :banana

awilex
09-06-2008, 06:42 AM
well the lineup for this christmas looks better for the ps3 by far with xbox's only good system sellers as gow and maybe halo..

awilex
09-06-2008, 06:43 AM
home is coming out in november-december i think

InFamous805
09-06-2008, 06:50 AM
well the lineup for this christmas looks better for the ps3 by far with xbox's only good system sellers as gow and maybe halo..

I think it depends more on the player and friends if you really look at it. I mean, i'm getting Fable 2 to play coop, just like Gears of War 2 and others like Duke3D (8 player coop is going to be hectic) But like I said before, lets enjoy out consoles :banana

home is coming out in november-december i think

Thanks for this, I've been waiting to try this for a pretty long time

bgiff1010
09-06-2008, 07:14 AM

Those are the only 2 seller's? Where have you been...

knucklessonic8
09-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Indeed Sony should be worried. MS specifically stated that they'll definitely rise above Sony's sales with this new price drop.

Pyros
09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
the only reason I use my PS3 :thumbs I got bored of MGS 4 cause the online was not as good as MGS: PO (I love that game), and the rest of my games (Ratchet, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword) really have no replay value after beating them a couple of times (I play CoD over Resistance online). Oh and Home seems pretty cool, but wasn't it going to come out like a year ago? And do you know when its coming?

Also the 360 isn't horrible. It's actually better right now and probably for the rest of the year. With games for everyone like Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Blots, Viva Pinata 2, Left 4 Dead (Microsoft publishes I think), Gears of War 2, Call of Duty World At War (will have a bigger community online), and Fable 2 (possibly going to be the best RPG of all time, but maybe not). Also, and new fall update is coming meaning you can have online parties with your friends and watch netflix movies together without everyone having to pay. It's also going to have avatars (not interesting to me, just pointing it out). And the XBLA is better than ever and its going to keep getting better with games like Duke Nukem 3D and South Park coming (and plenty more, but those are the ones I like)

Overall, both consoles are great and let's just enjoy them :banana

You'll need to note that a large portion of those games are also PC games, and PC game follow ups that are also releasing on the 360 as well ;D.

For some gamers, this means that they might as well just play the computer version if they have a half decent computer.

InFamous805
09-06-2008, 10:48 AM
You'll need to note that a large portion of those games are also PC games, and PC game follow ups that are also releasing on the 360 as well ;D.

For some gamers, this means that they might as well just play the computer version if they have a half decent computer.

yeah but still alot of people dont count PC as a console in the "console war" and this is a 360-PS3 discussion.

Pyros
09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
yeah but still alot of people dont count PC as a console in the "console war" and this is a 360-PS3 discussion.

Touche. :P

I think somewhere along the line they'll get a port tho

InFamous805
09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Touche. :P

I think somewhere along the line they'll get a port tho

yeah I read somewhere that EA was going to port Left 4 Dead to PS3 just like they did the Orange Box next year

XPISigma
09-06-2008, 11:22 AM
The $200 arcade version isn't a good deal anyway. With sites like rewards1, an XBox would always be the better deal.

roblanownz
09-06-2008, 04:35 PM
im trying to sell b4 price drop is known to everyone!

help me guys!
http://forums.rewards1.com/showthread.php?p=152040#post152040

awilex
09-06-2008, 10:30 PM
lol :P:crap

dodo
09-06-2008, 10:41 PM
im trying to sell b4 price drop is known to everyone!

help me guys!
http://forums.rewards1.com/showthread.php?p=152040#post152040

Is the xbox you have the arcade theme or w.e?? Thats the only kind that got cheaper.

DragonRid3r25
09-06-2008, 11:14 PM
i got the elite today for only 400 since it dropped woo hoo

awilex
09-07-2008, 12:16 AM
im thinking of getting 1 if the trainn site referral amount drops too

hi

sheetsjohn16
09-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Omfg $300 Is Not A Price Drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InFamous805
09-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Omfg $300 Is Not A Price Drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the arcade version dropped to $199 (used to be $250)......

roblanownz
09-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Is the xbox you have the arcade theme or w.e?? Thats the only kind that got cheaper.

premium edition the one w/hdmi port

and i plan on not giving the 20gb hdd