PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Laptop

Eric Sherman
08-29-2008, 04:46 PM
So I'm curious as to how this laptop will work for computer games. I'm mainly curious towards cs source, so how will I stack up? Will I be lagging and freezing, or should I be fine?

Inspiron 13

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1

DISPLAY AND CAMERA Glossy, widescreen 13.3" LCD (1280x800) w/ 2.0M pixel Camera

VIDEO CARD Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

HARD DRIVE Size: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)

WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

BATTERY OPTIONS 37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)

Dr.Genjoah
08-29-2008, 04:52 PM
1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, DirectX 7 level graphics card, Windows 2000/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

That's the system requirements, so it should be okay. But your graphic card worries me.

Eric Sherman
08-29-2008, 05:00 PM
The graphics card is at least minimum though right? I can always upgrade that later, but I want to make sure it's compatible in case I don't.

I realize it probably fits everything you need for the game considering it was made what 5 6 years ago and all computers now have that same power or better... My question is, how would something like this stack up against normal players of the game?

Max Galleio
08-29-2008, 05:10 PM
good for tf2, wow etc.

MaximoMilkman
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I dont play PC games *YET* building my PC soon so i know what cha need.. The graphics card is bad but would probably run it i will google it for ya.. Everything else is fine you just gotta have directx and what not. The graphics card might by integrated.. if it is then your screwed you would have to buy a whole new motherboard and rebuild the whole thing basically so you wanna make sure it is not built into the motherboard. and it has PCI-E slots to make sure you can use a good graphics card. I want to play TF2 so bad so now i have no choice but to cough up like 500 bucks to buy this pc

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 06:12 AM
tf2 is fun, but watch for the trash-talkers and the annoyers. the annoyers are ppl who cheat or sing. i hate it when the guy singing the lion king song comes in and plays, so my friend shot him in the back of the head. (in the game)

Dr.Genjoah
08-30-2008, 06:16 AM
tf2 is fun, but watch for the trash-talkers and the annoyers. the annoyers are ppl who cheat or sing. i hate it when the guy singing the lion king song comes in and plays, so my friend shot him in the back of the head. (in the game)

Awww, I'm one of those people.

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 06:38 AM
doc....... don't start.

Droned
08-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Seems like people obviously haven't managed to grasp the concept of going into the playerlist and clicking mute, either that or just put up with it, cream their ass then laugh in their face.

Oh and Eric, here's a quote from another forum;
by the way i heard from someplace that x3100 is with ati X1300 or 1400
so it is good enouh. in addtion, it can play direct x 10 games soon enough.
yes the css will run on x3100 and hl2 as well because my ati can play them

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 07:08 AM
me and my friend run up behind em and shoot them in the head. bonus points!

Dr.Genjoah
08-30-2008, 07:08 AM
Seems like people obviously haven't managed to grasp the concept of going into the playerlist and clicking mute, either that or just put up with it, cream their ass then laugh in their face.

Oh and Eric, here's a quote from another forum;

Or maybe some people feel as if they shouldn't have to, and the community as a whole should grow up.

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 07:10 AM
good thought

Droned
08-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Or maybe some people feel as if they shouldn't have to, and the community as a whole should grow up.

If you really can't be bothered to mute a player and would rather sit there and endure it then that makes you immature and also the phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face comes into play.

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 07:12 AM
ok. but isn't shooting them in the back of the head more fulfilling?

Droned
08-30-2008, 07:13 AM
ok. but isn't shooting them in the back of the head more fulfilling?

What's that got to do with anything? He stated that rather than muting them he thinks the whole community should grow up, if he'd rather sit there and endure that than just simply mute them which takes all of 5 seconds he is cutting off his nose to spite his face. You can shoot them as soon as you've muted them, it's not like you have to leave the server.

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 07:24 AM
no. i mean when you kill them they shut up for a couple seconds. after being killed 5 or 6 times, they leave. some stay but i direct my attention to him/her and i'm always a spy or sniper, so its better to take out annoying ppl. if you want to endure it you can, but downin your method works......., but mine works better

Droned
08-30-2008, 07:38 AM
no. i mean when you kill them they shut up for a couple seconds. after being killed 5 or 6 times, they leave. some stay but i direct my attention to him/her and i'm always a spy or sniper, so its better to take out annoying ppl. if you want to endure it you can, but downin your method works......., but mine works better

Who's downin? and I think my method works better, its quick and takes all of like 5 seconds, yours takes a good few min's.

Eric Sherman
08-30-2008, 08:12 AM
I found one with similar things in it at best buy for $700. I'm going to check it out today. It's still a dell.

Dr.Genjoah
08-30-2008, 08:34 AM
If you really can't be bothered to mute a player and would rather sit there and endure it then that makes you immature and also the phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face comes into play.

I never said you should sit there and endure it. I said you shouldn't have to go through the menial task of muting them, and in pretty much every fps I play, there is a crap load of immature people I run into.

Snake
08-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Eric you should consider looking for a better graphic's card. Once you have integrated, you will not be able to change it unless you change the whole mother board. I think I had one similar to yours in my laptop, maybe a bit worse and it worked fine for 1-2years. However it wouldn't even launch source. Also I suggest that you should get XP or if you have an extra XP cd lying around, dual boot.

Eric Sherman
08-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, I would like to downgrade to XP. I have xp on this computer, so I'm sure I have a cd lying around somewhere.

Snake
08-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I would like to downgrade to XP. I have xp on this computer, so I'm sure I have a cd lying around somewhere.

Well I mean vista has some nice qualities, for example Directx 10. So I would suggest you dual boot, and since you have 160GB of hard drive, you can make XP the bigger partition on your computer. So give XP like 100GB and vista 60B, etc.

Droned
08-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Well I mean vista has some nice qualities, for example Directx 10. So I would suggest you dual boot, and since you have 160GB of hard drive, you can make XP the bigger partition on your computer. So give XP like 100GB and vista 60B, etc.

Lol, dx10 isn't really that noticeable

Snake
08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Lol, dx10 isn't really that noticeable

If you have a good graphics card and are playing a good game like crysis it is noticeable.

Droned
08-30-2008, 11:32 AM
If you have a good graphics card and are playing a good game like crysis it is noticeable.

I have a good graphics card and I play 'good games' like Crysis and it isn't really noticeable at all lol, I went to Vista sp1 with dx10 and there really wasn't much difference, maybe just better shadows lol.

Snake
08-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I have a good graphics card and I play 'good games' like Crysis and it isn't really noticeable at all lol, I went to Vista sp1 with dx10 and there really wasn't much difference, maybe just better shadows lol.

Better shadows make everything better :P

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 11:38 AM
so does death (awkward silence follows)

stoptherockets94
08-30-2008, 11:40 AM
So I'm curious as to how this laptop will work for computer games. I'm mainly curious towards cs source, so how will I stack up? Will I be lagging and freezing, or should I be fine?

Inspiron 13

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5850 (2.16GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1

DISPLAY AND CAMERA Glossy, widescreen 13.3" LCD (1280x800) w/ 2.0M pixel Camera

VIDEO CARD Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz

HARD DRIVE Size: 160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)

WIRELESS NETWORK CARDS Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

BLUETOOTH OPTIONS Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

BATTERY OPTIONS 37Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)

Umm it should be fine and lagging depends on your internet connection. Umm your graphics card I don't know, it doesn't seem that good.

Droned
08-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Better shadows make everything better :P

Is it worth it sucking up some extra ram for;

DX9
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshock_directx10_performance/images/12.png

DX10
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshock_directx10_performance/images/13.png

All I see different is a weird blur on the left, lol

narutoball
08-30-2008, 11:56 AM
If you Have XP then the laptop would be fine, you wouldn't be palying CS source at its best but it will run. The graphics card is a bit cheap but it should still the job. If you end up getting higher specs vista may be worth it. But on lower specs XP is much nicer

Edit: very few pc games are going to use Direct X 10..and on a laptop of those specs direct X 10 wouldn't run very well. I paly crisis on my computer with XP on full specs and its just as good.

Max Galleio
08-30-2008, 01:36 PM
i don't really get into pc games cuz of dial-up. i go over my friends house and we take turns (killing) ppl on tf2.