PDA

View Full Version : what to do when you get the red three ring of death on 360?

13 0 13
04-14-2008, 12:18 AM
One of the ways is to buy the cooling system they sell.

Method 1 does work but is temporary, Method 3 does not work unless the light is only like that, method 4 is the first one you should try. As for method 5 thats for people that do like to work on the inside and it will void warenty.
Method 2 should be done next after method 4. Method 6 is at last resort.

Method 1: If your short on money and this does happen to you you can use the towel trick. First grab 4 towels. Second rap the towels around the 360 while it is on with everything not plugged in except the power. Third wait 30 minutes with the temp in the room as hot as you are willing to make it. Fourth as soon as the 30 minutes is up, take the towels off and take it out of that room if you have another tv and plug it into the tv. 5'th turn the air in that room to very cold as u want and wait 15 minutes. Sixth turn the 360 on and plug into tv and see if it turns on. its 100 working and last from 2 1/2 days to a month. But you must repeat as soon as u have the problem.

Method 2: Squeeze it along the top when you have the 360 off and go from back to front to back and repeat 4 times.

Method 3: Go to Memory in System. Than press: X - X - LB - RB - X - X
You will get a message asking for performing maintance. Press yes. Turn your Xbox 360 off, remove your hard drive and/or memory unit and turn on your 360. Check if the red light is gone. Than turn your 360 off, attach the hard drive and/or memory unit and this problem should be fixed.
NOTE: This fix only works when your Xbox 360 is working properly but still displaying the Ring of Death!

Method 4: Simply unplug every cord and device out of the console, including the AV cables, USB, harddrive, etc. After this, the console is turned back on. If it turns on, then it's turned off again and everything is plugged back in. With any luck, the console is now working!

Method 5: Tools you'll need:

A thin hex head L-shaped wrench OR a probe tool of some sort.
1 T-8 Torx screwdriver
1 T-10 Torx screwdriver
Plastic scraper tool or pocket knife
Arctic Silver or other brand high quality heat sink paste
1 Brillo steel wool pad
Cleaning supplies

I'm not going to detail how to get the 360 apart, you can follow instructions on how to do that on your own or find how to on the web. You'll need to get the motherboard out of the metal cage, and pop off the heatsinks from both the CPU and GPU.

Once you get the GPU heatsink removed, look at the thermal pad on the bottom of it. Does it have a rectangular metallic silver cover on it? This is how mine looked. I suspect this thermal pad is insufficient for the amount of heat generated by the GPU.

NOTE: If yours DOES NOT have this metallic silver cover, your hardware faults might lie somewhere else. However, since you're this far already, keep going. Better cooling for your 360 would never hurt.

Scrape off the thermal pad from both the aluminum GPU heatsink and the copper CPU heatsink. I used a Brillo steel wool pad for this, and it worked great. It even polished the bottom of the heatsinks a little bit. If you get the heatsinks wet, make sure you dry them thoroughly before reinstalling.

Now clean the remaining thermal paste from the GPU and CPU. My CPU had the most paste on it, so it took the longest. I used small pieces of a paper towel slightly dampened with 409 and it worked fair. You may have a better method of removing thermal paste from a CPU, so use your judgment here.

Once clean, apply your thermal paste to the CPU and GPU dies. Don't apply too much, just enough to cover the entire die.

Now reinstall the heatsinks, put the 360 back together, and enjoy

Method 6: HIT IT

AdamC
04-14-2008, 01:19 AM
Method 6 is rather splendid...

But in all seriousness, this actually helped me. I was actually online bragging about how I hadn't gotten the Red Ring Of Death.

TiN TiN
04-14-2008, 03:51 AM
Well me 360 has the RRoD but I'm getting it shipped off today. I did the towel trick and it worked for about a month and using method 6 voids your warrenty but nice tips never heard of most of them

13 0 13
05-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Bump This Topic

extremesportsrule
05-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I would have suggested the towel trick. But otherwise if you still have warrenty just send it into microsoft, and they will fix it for you for free.