PDA

View Full Version : My Xbox Hard Drive?

Viz
08-02-2008, 07:42 AM
My Xbox Hard Drive Scratched My Cod4 Disc What Should I Do I Was Thinking About Buying A Disk Repairer But I Dont Know What 1 To Get

Downin
08-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Your screwed, your hard drive didnt scratch it, your laser did. It happens when you move your console

Pieman831
08-02-2008, 08:00 AM
downin is right, that is why you should never move your xbox while playing. This happened to my GOW disk....

god
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Yea, just get a new disk. The disk repairers aren't always that reliable.

It happened to mai Halo 3 disk.

Lavathing9
08-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I lol'ed. Your hard drive isnt near your DVD-Rom you realize?

The hard drive is the removable thing at the top of your xbox if you stand it vertically.

Eric Sherman
08-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Just out of curiousity, can I scracth this laser and get my free xbox with my 2 year best buy warranty?

MeLonpan
08-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Dont buy those disk repair things they usually never work, go to a used game shop or a place where you can rent games and have them fix it.

thrawn2112
08-02-2008, 04:53 PM
supposedly using something like metal polish or toothpaste will "buffer" the cd and even out the surface of the disc. i tried it out, and it appears to have done some good. i've yet to actually play the game though.

on a cd, the actual information isn't stored on the bottom layer of the disc. it's on a reflective label on the top. so actually, it's more damaging to scratch the top of the cd.

the idea behind disc buffering is that you try to "erode" the bottom layer of the disc enough so that the laser can still read the reflective label on the top of the disc. you can actually pay to have this done professionally (not with home materials like toothpaste, but with a machine) at some video game retailers for pretty cheap. (less than 5 bucks) you can also go to websites like discbuffer.com and mail them your disc and they do it for 3 bucks. but i can't tell if you need to ship it to them(which might be expensive), or just mail it the regular way.

if you're going to try it yourself, here are tips.
1. don't brush in a circular motion, it'll ruin the disc.
2. think of the process like you're using sandpaper to smooth down wood and remove splinters in the wood. (but don't go too rough on the disc's surface)

here's (http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/37127/How_to_Remove_CD_Scratches.html) a good article

thrawn2112
08-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Just out of curiousity, can I scracth this laser and get my free xbox with my 2 year best buy warranty?

yes, but i think it requires you sending in your original xbox, so i don't think you can just get an extra one for free.